Kumistavi Cave (cave Gliani, cave of Prometheus) is a karsts cave in the West Georgia, in the municipality of Tskaltubo. It is located near the villages of Kvilishori and Kumistavi, in the Kumi River basin, at an altitude of 100 meters above the sea level. Distance to the city of Tbilisi is240 km. , to the town of Kutaisi- 40 km. The cave is made of Lower Cretaceous limestone. It is a cave of the upper horizontal level. The height of the entrance is 3,5-4 m, its width is 7 m. In 60 meters from the main entrance, there is a siphon lake from where the river Kumi flows. In the cave there are stalactites, fused calcite and organogenic layers, formed as a result of destruction including a thick layer of guan. The climate is dynamic. Clearly there is an air movement inside. The cave is closely connected to the surface craters. At the end of the tunnel there is a 2-metres depth siphon. The temperature reaches 15 degrees C (1959 year`s estimate). There are inclusive springs that are connected to the cave water flow. In the hall adjacent to the siphon, there is a large colony of bats. In guan layer diversity of types of worms may be observed. The cave`s waters are used by the population as drinking water. It is absolutely easy to pass the cave through. The tourist route length is up to 1060 meters.
There are 16 rooms found inside, which are sharply differing in scope and forms of the fossil deposits. The cave is rich in various types of tumors, among which there are stalactites, stalagmites, helictites, drapes, petrified waterfalls, cave pearls, phyzolites, underground rivers, underground lakes and more. The spot forms a very exciting tourist destination. The cave is beautified and landscaped, there are footpaths, artificial lighting, laser show, spectacular views, and a therapeutic treatments for those with asthma disease is offered.
New halls of the Kumistavi cave were discovered by the members of Speleological expedition of the Geographic Institute of the Academy of Sciences of Georgia named after Vakhushti Bagrationi, on July 15, 1984. Mikheil Saakashvili has helped to the transformation of the cave into a tourist site in 2010, and in 2011 the cave was opened to the public.
The Kumistavi cave has been declared a natural monument.