The idea of the opening of the museum appeared in early 1943 of the previous century, but its foundation only became possible in the 50-ies, on the initiative of the local resident, professor Avtandil Ioseliani. The first director of the Museum was Giga Dzhimsheleishvili, late. The Scientific Council of the museum started working, but to realize the plans at that time just turned to be impossible. It was not until 1969, that the actual image of the museum has been acquired when it was headed by Mrs. Tsiala Gvinianidze, who is currently a chevalier of the Order of Honor, a honorary citizen of Tskaltubo, and the “Cave of Hope”project`s one of the most active participant. In 1981 the museum was named after a local resident, an outstanding linguist George Akhvlediani.
Today the Museum collections number more than 35 thousand archaeological items, numismatics, manuscripts, epigraphs, photo – and various other archival exhibits.
Archaeological collection displays the period from the Lower Paleolithic to the late Middle Ages. Exposed are labor tools of the primitive man made of stone, bone, volcanic glass obsidian, bronze and iron, as well as utensils for storage of wine.
Ethnographic funds expose metal, wood, leather, porcelain items, collection of glassware, musical instruments and samples of the incuse art. The museum has a rich collection of manuscripts and coins, photos and personal archives of many famous personalities.
Being a living body, the museum constantly requires updating. In order to preserve our past for future generations, the museum holds a wide range of educational and scientific conferences, mobile and stationary exhibitions in the region and beyond, along with meetings with famous people, vivid lectures – dialogues, and lots of other activities.